Friday, January 29, 2010

Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come For You!

Well apparently the Sheriff's department here in Spokane is out in full force because exactly 20 days after my friend got her speeding ticket, I rushed to get one of my own - I'm such a follower! (This post is inspired by DaNae's previous post)

So Thursday afternoon we were waiting for the workers to finish the new granite countertops and then we were in a rush to go watch my brother's school basketball game - we needed to get there fast so naturally I was driving! Sidenote: everytime I ride with my mom she always tells me to watch me speed going down our hill because cops love to sit there - they got my dad last year too same spot! So this time I'm come around the corner going average fast I would say and ride out the first part of the hill no brakes (like USUAL with every other person who lives by us!) then just as I started to brake my mom spots the undercover cop car or as my friends and I like to call them "Scott's friends." I brake to 25mph but no luck he turns on his lights before I even pass him.

Now this is not my first ticket, although I've only had one when I was 18 and then one internationally which is another story itself, so I had the whole license and registration ready to go by the time he got to the window - he tells me he clocked me at 38 then assumes I saw him and braked to 25, I replied "Yes sir it's a hill and I normally brake on the second part!" - What I wanted to say is NO DUH I used to go 25 mph on my bicycle riding to Elementary School do you realize how ridiculous it is to expect a car to keep it at 25 the whole way down - and too bad it wasn't icy or snowing because then it's actually a hazard to try and stop and so much better to just let it coast and occationally pump the brakes a bit.

Anyway he quickly issused me a $150 ticket and brought it back asking if I had any questions. Yep how do I pay to defer this so that I can keep my record clean - I'm moving in a few months and all I have to do is avoid getting a ticket until then and this one never goes on my record. Although luckily for me the last time I deferred a ticket it was the ticket price plus $100, now I think it's only $50 and you don't have to pay the ticket as long as you stay clean - so hopefully that's how it works otherwise I may just go to my court hearing and play the whole good kid card and see what happens!

So needless to say he gave me my stuff I carried on my way and of course he met his quota and followed me out of the neighborhood or off somewhere else where he can really SERVE and PROTECT! Or should I say boost the budget! So Celeste beware because you're the next one in the vincinity of these officers and hopefully this is not a trend that is here to stay!


(Thanks for the inspiration on the post DaNae!)

5 comments:

Celeste said...

That really stinks Janel! Oh, and yeah- I've already gotten a ticket on that hill so I WILL NOT be the next! I refuse!

DaNae said...

I am laughing so hard! Seriously the SVPD is out in full force. I am a nervous wreck driving anywhere.

DaNae said...

ps, ella just said, "was she crying you like mom?" too funny. I bet the countertops look bomb.

The Grimmett's said...

I bet your mom totally rubbed it in your face too and then you came back with some whitty comment, which I would crack up at IF I were there!

Sorry dude!

janel said...

Yeah anytime my mom makes a comment about our driving - all we have to say is who is the only person in our family to wreck just about ALL of the cars - including two at once, she backed into my car with the van on my birthday claimed she didn't even "see" it! So that's pretty much my blanket comeback for all driving related comments from her!