Friday, August 28, 2009

Clam Digging

Cody and I with our clams (and Shelby and Mason wishing they had caught these ones)!

In all the excitement of the animals I forgot to mention that last week right before I started my runs I was able to go back to Ninilchik where I went Halibut fishing and this time we went Clam Digging. At first I knew it was going to be another long day and I just wanted to sleep and relax but I was so happy I went. I learned what to look for how to best make the beginning dig and then how to try to catch them before they get away. We got a lot of young clams but about 25 bigger ones and enough that we made clam chowder once we got home. It was so fun, I love all these new experiences and all my Alaskan friends that share with me what they love to do!

Helping eachother spot and dig - sometimes it takes teamwork!

And sometimes we race to see who can get their clam first!

But you made need some help from friends too if you get a hold of one real deep and can't pull your arm back out!

Just make sure you kiss your first clam you catch to keep your luck going!

1 comment:

The Hadley Family said...

It looks like you're having a great time up there in Alaska. Keep snapping the pictures. You'll cherish all the great memories one day. :)