Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Glaciers and Kayaking

My last few days of my week off I was still determined to go out and see Alaska even though the weather wasn't great. A few of my friends from work and I headed over to Portage Glacier and their visitor center there. We then went on about a five mile hike up to Byron Glacier and although the top was all covered in fog we still got a decent sighting and luckily the rain didn't start until we almost got back to the car.


Mary, Me, and Amy Lou at the Bryon Glacier


Then we headed over to the town of Whittier (you have to drive through a 2.5 mile tunnel that is only one lane - and it's a dual road/railroad tunnel so on the half hour you can come into town and on the hour you can leave town it's pretty crazy). The Prince William Sound was also covered in clouds - it kind of reminded me our Milford Sound in New Zealand - and we got in our sea kayaks and toured around for about 3 hours. The water was beautiful we saw a few sea otters, salmon, bald eagles, and a ton of gulls that nest by this waterfall. Our guides were really nice and it was so fun even in the rain.




RCT Employees, the waterfall, and Amy Lou and I in our tandem Kayak on the Prince William Sound!

Of course I do love to play tourist so we went to downtown Anchorage to ride the trolley, my friend Jody is a local and she gives the tours. It was her last day and her 585th tour of the summer (man I'm glad I don't have to repeat the same train leg three times a day at least I get a bit more variation). Then of course we completed the day with the traditional picture cut-out but really we had such a good time!



Trolley Time with Stephanie, Luke, Jody, and Me!

I catch bigger fish than Luke in real life too!

No comments: