Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Salmon Are A Girl's Best Friend!

So needless to say I LOVE FISHING - it was something I enjoyed doing with my dad growing up, back then I loved catching fish but not eating them - really I probably just liked being out on the boat on our beautiful Washington lakes drinking cherry coke and eating twislers! However this summer I have been able to fish for both Halibut and Salmon, and it has been a blast especially because the fish flock here to Alaska!


I kept a pink salmon to try - but check out the gum boots it was finally time that I got my own now I can make it through all that glacial silt to get those fish!


Last Saturday we went down to a town called Hope - so beautiful and the pink salmon were coming in like crazy (seriously I probably reeled in 20 fish for the 50 casts I did - and at one point we tried to catch them with our hands). Now we only kept two to eat the next day apparently the pink salmon or humpy as they're called because the males develop a hump on their backs aren't the best tasting fish and they don't freeze and keep real well. But it was so fun to even just catch and release, and of course it's all about who you're with too!


Our Fishing Group - and realy some of my favorites! Back: Me, Luke, and Emily

Front: Stephanie, Weston, Tyler, Marilyn, Cohan, and Cody


Cody had the best fishing outfit - flannel shirt, fishing vest, and camo waiters!

Marilyn actually caught one in her hands but it slipped out before we could get a picture - so cool though and I'll definitely back that story anyday!



The male pink salmon have a humpback so they are called "humpy" we only kept two but they were fun to catch, although the females would start releasing their eggs on the shore because they thought they were going to dry so we tried to put as many back in the water as we could!


Then just yesterday I went to Jim's Creek up by the Knik Glacier where I learned to ride a dirk bike and we fished for Silver Salmon. We got there just about 30 min after things had really died down but we tried to wait for the next run. The people we were fishing by were so nice and we were all joking that it's when you're not paying attention - so I started into my tour guide speech for my friend Tyler about the Chugach Mountains and Pioneer Peak and then this guy jumped on my line. I was so excited I screamed then tried to back up and reel and everyone just started laughing because of my sudden change in topic and then I was laughing but praying I wouldn't lose the fish and finally I got him up on shore (silver's are fighters that's for sure). But I was soooooo excited to finally get a real salmon I want to freeze it and take it home but I don't know how it'll do and in the excitement I didn't even get a picture with Tyler but THANK YOU so much for taking me fishing and showing me all the great spots - couldn't have done it without you!

My First Silver Salmon - so proud, he really just jumped on my line!

Thanks again Tyler!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so cute! I love you in your fishing boots! and good job catching all those fish! I went fishing for the first time a couple months ago and caught nothing!

Celeste said...

Awesome, pregnant 'humpy' fish.

Wonder why...

erika said...

Janel - I am loving this blog of yours. I can't believe all of the amazing things that you have done! But I'm confused...are you currently in Alaska?

If you are ever in the fine Bay Area, you know that you have a big red couch with your name on it!