Friday, September 4, 2009

Alaska State Fair


You know I LOVE the insert-your-face cut outs!

Well I have a few days off before I go back to my last week of work and I made sure to head out to the Alaska state fair. Luke and I got in just in time to see the lumberjack show, racing pigs, and went over to watch a hip hop group perform (I made a group of friends watch step up 2 the night before because they had never seen it!) however we quickly realized that the group was actually a dance group for people with mental disabilities but we had already sat down so even though we left the end of the lumberjack show and wanted to go back for the log rolling competition there is no way you can get up and walk away because you are disappointed with a performance that wasn't quite what you thought it was, however just afterward we we able to watch this great family perform from Florida (they were like the Brady Bunch but with instruments and the seventeen year old daughter wore her hair in a high ponytail and whipped that thing around every song while everyone wore the hugest smile THE ENTIRE TIME)! They were at the fair last year so we really lucked out that they came back - I can only cross my fingers for next year but the one daughter did dance kind of sexy so next year she could be knocked-up and I don't know how that would add to the whole act!

Getting ready to cheer our lumberjack on through the gruling games! Yo Ho!
(Which apparently is the official lumberjack cheer - I thought that was for pirates but either I've been misinformed or just didn't realize how closely related they are!)


Racing pigs - Ham Solo, Magnum P.I.G, and Franken"swine"

This was the best photo I got swinging hair far left - check, full grin on everyone ALL the time - you better believe it!

Needless to say we had a great time and I did get to see some of Alaska's giant vegetables that I tell my guests about becauase (insert tour director voice - kind of like a flight attendant) "Although Alaska has a shorter growing season they do enjoy longer daylight hours which help to more than make up the difference!"

Giant Cabbages and Pumpkins - All Alaskan Grown!

Then unfortunately my camera died so Luke got some photos once the rest of our friends showed up and we ate some traditional fair food as we enjoyed the night!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

We would love to see you and you are more than welcome to stay! We have a pretty large apartment (according to our standards anyways) and I obviously don't have anything tying me down so just let me know when you're coming if you do and maybe I can plan some fun things to do while you're here

The Grimmetts in Real Life said...

Janel I never have to worry about you not having fun and just trying to get everything in before you leave the beautiful state of Alaska. It is always fun to see your pictures. Now Moms can read their children's blog which is a great public journal.