Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Swaziland

Unfortunately we had to trade in the VW because it was having a hard time starting and we didn't want to take it across the border to Swaziland so after we picked up a Kia Picanto we were off. The drive was pretty, I always love driving through new countries and it usually makes me appreciate the beauty of my own country that I usually don't take the time to notice.

Trading in the old car for the new one, but it worked just fine for what we needed! Poor Josh!








However on the way there we passed a orange truck that had tipped over and people everywhere were carrying oranges by the basket or wheelbarrow full back to their homes.


Also at various times we had cows, goats, or monkey's running across the highway so we had to be careful - there were signs warning us about free-roaming livestock and signs that said "Danger High Crime Area -Do Not Stop!"



In Swaziland we stayed between the cities of Mbabane (the capital I believe) and Manzini. This valley is actually a little touristy with a golf course and their are a few royal residents here too [The Kingdom of Swaziland is ruled currently by a 40 yr old king and I believe he has 13 wifes and celebrating his birthday had just got a brand new X6 BMW or something]. We actually stayed at the Milwane Nature Reserve at this backpacker lodge. We opted for the huts which were great and every night they fed us (I think I ate Impala and some kind of Boar at one point).





We overlooked a beautiful valley and mostly the animals were impala, zebras, warthogs, etc so we were able to take a little walk down to the Hippo and Crocodile ponds - don't worry we didn't get too close and just about everybody warns the tourists that Hippos actually are the #1 killer of people I guess in Africa. This place was great though and I really enjoyed our time here.

This is the most colorful lizard I've ever seen and he was just chillin on some tree by the lodge!


No comments: