Saturday, January 15, 2011

Turning Out the Lights in Alaska!

My very last week this summer I was assigned the longest tour. We literally were the last ones from our company still working and the last ones to leave Fairbanks, AK - so it's essentially the tour the turns out the lights. My boss was so nice to pair me the last week with my Tour Director B.F.F. and it turned out to be the best way to end the season and one of my favorite tours.

We had a boat tour the first day in our itinerary and the weather was beautiful (the last time it was pouring). Still no whales but it was so nice to be on the water with unbelievable clear blue skies.
Then after we got back to the lodge my roommate came down to visit and we drove to the Exit Glacier right there in Seward which was beautiful and I can't believe I had never taken the time to go before.
One of my last train trips I was on with one of my favorite conductors and finally got a picture with my own camera (we joke about how many pictures there are of us floating around peoples photo ablums in their homes across America).
Mt. McKinley was out and stunning the whole time (the last time I had seen it from Talkeetna was over summer soltice when I was with Laura the last time - she must be lucky).
We saw the Northern Lights both nights we were in Denali because it had actually gotten dark at night - our groups saw tons of animals in the park, and best of all we had the BEST groups EVER. They were so nice and everybody from both busses got along great with each other and were just truly appreciative oh how much they were blessed on the last week of tourism. It was an amazing way to end the summer!


No comments: